5 Steps to Smart Resources & Huge Impact (With a simplified production process)
For this exercise, we will use a made up practical case study: The Myth’s homemade vegan cookie brand
Map out all your areas of impact and measure them (positive, negative, neutral)
- Buying Locally. Impact = Positive!
- Packaging (Buy ingredients in my own containers and using reusable jars for cookies). Impact = Neutral
- Emission of my car (For ingredient shopping and deliveries). Impact = Negative
- Electricity consumption for baking. Impact = Negative
Step 2: Take steps to work on the largest area of impact.
Priority 1: Emission of my car. Long term solution is to change my car from diesel to electric/hybrid will help a lot, but I cannot afford to do so yet.
I realize that since I use a lot of dried ingredients so I can make my trip to the shop every two weeks instead.
2. After surveying my customers, I realized that 60% are willing to wait beyond 24h for their cookies. So, I offer a new delivery option for customers that are happy to receive their cookies within 3 days with a 5% discount.
Step 3: Analyse what needs to be done for each and PRIORITISE!
Priority 2: Electricity consumption for my production.
- Start looking for the best supplier of solar panels and understand what it means to do so in my building
- Try to calculate the investment and potential long-term savings to work out the best plan in doing so
- Start putting aside some revenue to save up for this investment
Step 4:Review your actions and keep moving to improve
Step 5: Repeat!
This strategic planner will help you to use smart resources and make a bigger impact today!